Release of Chimera Grid Tools Version 1.8
Version 1.8 of Chimera
Grid Tools is now ready for your testing and use. There have been many changes
and bug fixes since the last release so please read the following log carefully.
A Fortran 90 compiler is now required to compile this package.
Highlights of new features include:
- Added capability to setup component hierarchy and dynamics parameters
for prescribed and 6-dof motion using GMP interface. XML files can
be read/written as interface to flow solvers. Prescribed motion can
be animated prior to running flow solver. A history log of 6-dof motion
generated by the flow solver can also be read and animated.
- Added standard atmosphere freestream conditions calculator (given
altitude, speed and reference length in English or S.I. units, returns
Mach no., Reynolds no., pressure, temperature, density, etc.)
- Added mass properties calculator for given surface triangulation.
- Implemented capability to save and retrieve views.
- Implemented capability to rotate about screen y-axis with Alt-Left-Mouse.
- Implemented capability to change light source position and material
shininess for shaded surfaces under Preferences menu.
- Added input preparation widgets for equilibrium and finite rate
chemistry in OVERFLOW module.
- Added capability to allow non-contiguous face labels in input/output
- Files with .tri in filenames will first be read as triangulation files.
If read fails, an attempt will be made to read it as a plot3d file.
- Added capability to read/write FAST multiple unstructured grid format.
- Fixed bug in edge list building for surface triangulation data.
- Fixed bug in SWAPID under GRIDED module when one entity is highlighted.
- Added compatibility with tcl/tk 8.3.5, 8.4.0, 8.4.1, 8.4.2.
- A number of new features/functions have been added to GRIDED:
- ability to create surface/volume of revolution with non-uniform
spacing in the circumferential direction.
- option in extrapolation function to extrapolate by specified arc
length (as well as stretching ratio). Also added option to extrapolate
along given vector.
- new function 24 to split a curve at a point closest to a given point.
- new function 18 to create a centroid curve in the J, K or L direction
by averaging points in the cross directions.
- new function 19 to insert a grid slice in the J, K or L direction
at a given index and arc length location.
- Added CombineGrids, CombineXrays, ConcatGrids, ExtractSubs, GenTFIGrids,
P3Ds2m, ReverseInd, RunProg, SwapInd procedures in scriptlib. See
doc/scriptlib.html for details.
- Added command line options for OVERPLOT (overplot -help to see list).
- Added use of negative iblank value in donor stencil search for IMODE=2
in PROGRD. Also, added check to avoid projection to fringe cells if
multiple donor cells are available.
- Introduced scriptbin directory to store script executables; chimeraxxx/bin
no longer exists in the directory structure. It may still be created by
make CMD=install as the default installation directory.
- The lsect surface/surface intersction utility was completely rewritten
in Fortran 90. The new code uses a different search algorithm and can be
about 20 times faster for large problems. It is also more robust in cases
with multiple intersections. A new feature invoked by -fndedge tries to
locate intersection points at the edge of two partially intersecting surfaces.
The code will no longer automatically extrapolate a surface for finding
- Added component id output in triangulation file grid.i.tri generated by MIXSUR,
also fixed some hard dimensioning bugs. Modified NGLIM (max no. of grids
allowed in PLOT3D) from 50 to 300 for PLOT3D command files. This requires
PLOT3D version 4.0+.
- Modified SURGRD to allow generation of TFI grids with 2 opposite curves where
the end points are coincident.
- Added extra degeneracy check in normal computations for constant plane
b.c.'s in HYPGEN.
- Added tolerance in consecutive coincident point check in SRAP and
SEAMCRT. Tolerance is based on precision of compilation.
- Added x/y/z range error checks for image plane in GEN_X.
- Added minmax and grid spacing input error checks in BOXGR.
- Added AUTOBC stand-alone tool for automatic determination of boundary
- Fixed bug in parsing -.123 type numbers in lib/getinput.F.
- modified BuildPeg5i (GlobalPegi) to correspond to change made in peg_in
- fixed BuildPlot ReadFlag for linux
- BuildOveri: changed default value of FSMACH from 0.0 to 0.2,
REY from 0 to 100
- added Jeff Slotnicks mod to WKCUT: addition of -jblunt option
- fixed bug in ovfi.tcl: added commas between element of BCINP entries
- fixed problem with scriptlib/Trim.tcl: catch statement
- GetSubsForBC in ovfi.tcl: added Type=AXIS option
- BuildVol: add check of .ovfi: automatically set hypgen BC for periodic and
singular axis grids
- BuildPeg5i: added MESH(angle), default(angle) input, added -no_add_te flag
- fixed bug in makevol: run smogrd only if there are walls
- fixed bug in minterp: infinite loop in reorder for cut line with coincident
points at end of end of line
- fixed bug in wkcut: normalize final tangent vector at TE
- fixed bugs in examples/intgrd/cylcp/Run: remove use of collar script
- mod to lib/flipjk.F: fix problem with PGI compilers in implied-do read
- makevol: added legrid input args
- BuildMixsuri: added abutting-grid priority specification with minus sign
in front of the zone names
Users on NAS machines
Users on NAS machines have the option to link to pre-compiled executables
on server machines. Choose the appropriate installation, and make both
of the following additions to your path and to your environment.
These examples are for /bin/csh users:
- SGI workstations on .nas.nasa.gov network:
set path = ( /r/octane13/u/wk/chimera/cgt1.8/bin $path )
setenv SCRIPTLIB /r/octane13/u/wk/chimera/cgt1.8/scriptlib
set path = ( /r/octane13/u/wk/chimera/cgt1.8_dp/bin $path )
setenv SCRIPTLIB /r/octane13/u/wk/chimera/cgt1.8_dp/scriptlib
OVERGRID users also have to copy the following preferences file and put it in the user's home directory:
Want to Get It?
If you are an existing user of CGT and would like a copy of CGT 1.8 sent
to you, contact one of us via email: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
If you have never obtained a copy of the Chimera Grid Tools software
package before, you will first have to apply, and sign a
As usual, bug reports and comments are highly appreciated.
Keep In Touch
Join the email@example.com mailing list! All future announcements regarding
the Chimera Grid Tools and OVERFLOW will be made to this list. You can
subscribe to this list by sending email to firstname.lastname@example.org,
with a line in the message body:
subscribe overflow your-email-address
Last modified: Wed May 07 12:30:00 2003